Saturday, March 26, 2011

Ode to My Allergies

No this is not in true ode form. lol. Quick back story to this poem: I was talking to fellow Long Island Poet, Jay Jii, and I was talking about my allergies. He said I should write a poem about it. So I did. This was the end result.


Ode to My Allergies

Morning breaks and I start coughing
A sign of what's to come
My nose runs the Boston Marathon
No stretching beforehand, it just takes off
Looks back at me, the great Sphinx
And runs further away
Until right before the finish line
It slows down and backs up
Glues itself in place
And causes a traffic jam in my sinuses...

I open my mouth to speak
Only nothing comes out
I haven't a voice
And I admit to some that's a blessing
I clear my throat
I sound like a cat hacking up hairballs
I take a Benedryl, which completely knocks me out..

I wake up and I start coughing again
And then one eye starts to itch
I take a tissue and dab it
Waterfalls emerge from my tear ducts
As if my heart had been broken
Onions look at me and start to cry
Someone asks me “what's wrong?”
To which I reply with a hefty sneeze
And they answer their own question
“Oh it's just your allergies.”

c2011 Lady Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment