Sunday, September 19, 2010

Creativity Can Be Found at Starbucks

 I'm convinced that Starbucks brings out my creativity. Anytime I go there are always people working on something; textbooks out, notebooks out, laptops out.  For writers, such as myself, Starbucks is a source of constant inspiration. It is a great place for observing people as they go about doing things, their facial expressions, their clothing, their body language,etc. After all people from all walks of life come into Starbucks. They don't just cater to one type of person, which is part of makes Starbucks overflow with the electricity of creativity.  Observing folks helps me build stronger charcters as well as improve my obervation skills and my memory.

 The irony is I rarely drink coffee. I hav eto feel well and not be anxious in order to consume a cup of joe or else I get jittery and more anxious. Nine out of ten times I drink unsweetened iced green tea, which some how calms my mind and lifts my spirits. It's like an opening in rain clouds that allows the sunhine to come through. It inspired me so much I wrote a poem about it.

 Sometimes I just sit down and open my notebook and brainstorm--writing down what ever comes to mind first. That is  ironically how I came by the title of this b log. Sometimes my brainstorms can go on for pages and pages, and sometimes I sit at Starbucks for hours and hours. Then I go back and look at my brainstorms and occasionally somethign will stand out. One day when I was at Starbucks, I was jotting down ideas and sentences,etc, and I got stuck! It was if my brain became constipated; when the truth is a million thoughts were just competing for priority in my brain. So I stopped for a bit. I began to read a book I had with me. I heard a loud  noise! I looked up...and I thought "Caveat Lector!" and a las that is how that poem got written.

Maybe it's the lighting. Perhaps it's the chairs. Maybe it's the coffee or tea. Maybe i's the  barristas or those who go to Starbucks. Whatever the reason creativity lives and breathes at Starbucks!

Ok more shameless plugs (these are all Starbucks related)

Ramblings from Starbucks
Portrait of the Artist
Observations from Starbucks I
Observations from Starbucks II
Brainfarts from Starbucks
Lifeforms from Starbucks
Inspiration from Starbucks


There are many more, but p erhaps in another article I will give more shameless plugs 

No comments:

Post a Comment