Sunday, April 3, 2011

C is for Cookies


An obvious choice for C because I wanted to sing "C is for Cookie. Is good enough for me." I have that album somewhere; a whole Sesame Street album. Yes album, not CD. For those of you not old enough to remember, albums are those round black vinyl things that mom and dad can put on a turntable.

Back to cookies: I remember baking cookies with my grandma. We aren't talkin Pillsbury cookies that you just cut and put on a cookie sheet. No, I am talking "from scratch" cookies. Grandma would pour some flour, eggs, a dash of salt and some sugar into a bowl and get the dough going. Then grandma would roll the dough out on a wooden cutting board. She had all sorts of cookie cutters for all different occasions, but if there was no occasion she had triangles, circles, squares...you name it she had it. I loved putting the cookie cutters into the dough.

I had two favorite types of cookies: chocolate chip- what kid wouldn't love a chocolate chip cookie, with freshly melted chocolate chips. It's like a Hershey's kiss cookie melting in your mouth. The other favorite is poppy seed cookies. I don't know if you can still buy poppy seeds in bags, but grandma used to get them that way. For some reason it was fun just to put the seeds into the dough and roll the dough.

After we baked them, me and Grandpa would devour most of the cookies, but we usually saved one or two for grams and mom. If my cousins were there, of course, they had some. Yes I dunked my chocolate chip cookies in my milk, but for some reason not the poppy ones. I don't know why. If we didn't have milk, which was rare, I had water or apple juice. Cookies are not the same with water or apple juice. They have a different taste, and you can't really dunk them.

1 comment:

  1. Being English I now feel I should have written about B Is For Biscuits on Saturday lol :) Biscuits, Cookies or whatever, I could eat them at any time.

    ReplyDelete