Thursday, April 7, 2011

G is for Gothic Horror

G is for Gothic Horror
This is a poem I wrote. Story behind the poem: I was taking a course in Herman Melville in grad school. We had a paper due and my professor said in regards to that "Oh! The gothic horror that is a blank page!" I wrote this poem then and there. Enjoy.

gothic horror

the gothic horror that is a blank page
that ghostly disturbance that sits on my desk
that keeps me up at night
i think of nothing else
but what to write

the white is blinding
the lines are blurring
but sometime later

i begin to see things in the whiteness
snow storms
yetis coming out of the invernal forest
to reclaim the earth
squall lines pouring down
on a wooden ship
tipping it to and fro
until it becomes a flying dutchman
white smoke rising from
the smoldering ruins of
the gothic horror that
was a blank page.

c2011 Lady Samantha

1 comment: