Friday, April 15, 2011

M is for Music

I cannot live with out music! Music is one of my muses. I listen to a lot of different genres--even classical and country.

The movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind really showed us that music is a universal language. In order to communicate with the aliens, the humans played a series of notes and the aliens played a series back.  Eventually they sort of play a symphony together. I like this notion that the key to communication with all creatures is music.

Some people use music to raise their chickens and cows and other animals. They call this free ranging. I think it's awesome. Animals respond well to music. Why shoudn't they respond well to music? I used to play music for my dog.  She didn't respond well to my heavy metal phase, but she did like light music, REM, and classical.  She wasn't amused with Don Charles and his Singing Dogs. She kept trying to find the dogs. It was amusing for me, but not my dog.

My parents and I connected on many levels through music. Both of my parents enjoy folk music. Dad and I used to sing the MTA Song by the Kingston trio. He'd do the lyrics and I sing "Good Ol' Charlie." Dad also liked Bon Jovi and one day when he bought me my Slaughter album, we listened to it in the car, and dad actually like them. I was shocked. Dad is the one that got me into classical music. I used to tease him about it when I was a kid and called it his "elevator music," but as I got older I began to really really enjoy it. Finlandia by Sibellius and Night on Bald Mountain (I can't remember the composer's name), are two of my favorite songs that dad introduced me to. I also enjoy JS Bach to no-end. I can listen to him day in and day out. Dad also enjoyed Willie Nelson. Dad and I's song was "City of New Orleans." It is still one of my favorite songs, but sometimes I cry when I hear it. I miss my dad.

Mom loves Bob Dylan and Pete Seeger. I once looked through mom's cds and I think she has something like five Pete Seeger albums. I don't remember when she bought them, but there they were. Mom also loves the Kingston Trio and we both think that “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?” is one of the saddest songs ever written. Mom had a habit of singing “I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles” by Vera Lynn when I was a kid. So I downloaded the song. I can't stop singing the one line, but the song isn't the greatest, but as long as mom likes it... Mom also got me into Sam Cooke. She'd sing “Don't Know Much About History,” and now the song is one of my favorite songs. Now mom and I have great senses of humor. Mom still sings “Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor” by Lonnie Donnegan. I downloaded the song. It is one perverted song! The first time I heard it in full I was on the floor laughing my ass off. Mom also enjoys REM. In fact she went with me, my best friend, and her mother to the 1995 Monster tour at Madison Square Garden.
Speaking of REM, it was my best bud, Sharon, who introduced me to them at her house in 7th grade. Because of her they are one of my favorite groups.
Anyway, so awhile ago I got into this German band, Wolfsheim, who have since disbanded—Peter Heppner is now solo (and fantastic). They wrote this song called “Sparrows and Nightingales” which is based on a Kurt Vonnegut book. For some reason, when listening to this song, I became inspired to write a song (well for now it's a poem) about music. See, that's what I mean when I say music is one of my many muses. I get ideas even if they aren't related to the song I am listening to. I do not have a title to the poem as of now, but here it is:


Music sets us all so free
A universal language
That topples the cruel and unkind
That has a soul of its own
That separates the believers from the non

Turning inwards
And towards the sky
Searching for answers in the waves
Bouncing messages back from outer space
I listen to the music
And my darkness turns to light
Even if only for a moment
The moment’s mine

Music is so sensuous
I devour the flavor like a fine wine
Goes down smoothly like a wet kiss
Something I so miss

Face the music and it will face you
Turn towards the drums
That echo in the night
Hold me close to your heart
Dance with me in the moonlight
Lead me unto you
My soul runs deep
My heart runs blue
But I’m running,
Running to you

Searching for answers in the waves
Bouncing messages back from outer space
I listen to the music
And my darkness turns to light
Even if only for a moment
The moment’s mine.

C:2011 Lady Samantha




No comments:

Post a Comment