Friday, April 1, 2011

Letter A

A is for April Fool.

Most people I know have tried the 'saran wrap on the toilet seat' to fool many waking and unsuspecting victims. Some have tried the "while you're asleep I shall place your left hand in warm water and watch you piss yourself" gag. If anyone had tried these two on me, they'd not be here now, or  at least have a large laundry bill.

When I was a kid I tried the ' mom I failed my test' gag. Of course when I handed her the paper it was always 90% or above.

The single gag I remember most was an email I got from a then friend. It was a weather report stating that there was a Nor'Easter moving up the east coast and was going to hit during the night on that particular night. I also remember that it had been a particularly storm year. So of course I believed him until he wrote back with "April Fools." Of course the irony of it all is that this year a storm is going to hit us. It is sort of like G-d saying "Nanny nanny poo poo. You thought I was done with the snow, but...YOU LOSE." Actually, I don't mind the cold temperatures at all. In fact I prefer them. And no, that is not an April Fools joke.

The Yankees were smart. They decided their opening day would be March 31 instead of April 1. Why is this? I think it's because if they lost they could get on the news after and say "April Fools." Ok that didn't come out half as funny as it sounded in my head.

Are people born on April 1 April Fools or just fools in general? If you are born on this day, I am only joking. Please don't throw rotten tomatoes at me. Speaking of April 1 birthdays, here are a few:

1578 William Harvey- English Physician
1732 Franz Josef Haydn- Composer
1802- Hubert Reis- Composer
1809- Nikolai Gogol-Writer
1814- Otto von Bismarck- German Chancellor
1873 - Sergei Vasilevitch Rachmaninov- Composer
1875- Edgar Wallace - Writer
1883- Lon Chaney sr-Actor
1885- Clementine Churchill
1907- Walter Kaufman-Composer
1920- Toshiro Mifune - Writer/Actor
1928- Jane Powell- Actress/Singer
1932- Debbie Reynolds- Actress
1932- Gordon Jump- Actor
1939- Ali McGraw - Actress
1939- Phil Niekro- Baseball player
1939- Rudolph Isley (the Isley Brothers)- Singer
1947- David Eisenhower- President Dwight Eisenhower's Son
1948- Jimmy Cliff- Singer
1952- Annette O'Toole- Actress

I take back all I said about fools.

If you are wondering what I am doing....Today is the start of the April A-Z in the blog world. Every day, except Sunday (poor Sunday. I hug Sunday.), bloggers must write a blog around the letters of the alphabet. Today was A. I look forward to B.

May your April Fool's Day be filled with smiles!

2 comments:

  1. Fun read. I used to tape the button down on people's phones in the office, then ring them. When they picked up the receiver, the phone would just keep ringing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A month A to Z? This is a great idea. I'll stay tuned. :)

    ReplyDelete